So in iOS 17, iPadOS 17 and MacOS Sonama Apple added a new feature called reactions which works in FaceTime and a few other video applications - you can, if using a Mac use Photo Booth to practice the reactions without fear of getting them wrong!
What can you do ?
- Put your hands in the heart shape - see hearts gesture from your hands!
- A thumbs up offers a couple of thumbs up in a bubble
- Thumbs down, same thing but less optimistic
- The peace/victory sign will show up some balloons
- double thumps up will put fireworks behind you
- double thumbs down rain appears
- double peace/victory will provide you with some digital confetti
- and double ‘devil’ aka rock on fingers will offer up a laser show
Apple does provide some documentation on this here https://support.apple.com/en-ph/guide/iphone/iphaa0b5671d/17.0/ios/17.0#iph174694891 again use MacOS Photo Booth app to practice (does iPad still have this app?) for iOS if you want to practice this then best way I have found is to open FaceTime, create link, copy link, open copied link (obviously don’t share said link) and well pose away!
If you do not see reactions in MacOS - Open control Central, goto camera controls and enable them